Sunday, May 21, 2006

Cooking up a fallacious (and offensive) comparison

Piny over at Feministe recently discussed my post on the New Zealand murder where the convicted man received a lighter-than-typical sentence for killing a disabled man. He was generous about what I had to say, but he also follows the logic of the problem and shows how smart he is:

In “The Disability Gulag” and assorted other writings, Harriet MacBryde Johnson makes the point that terms like heroic measures and special accomodations can be extremely ableist: they start at a zero/norm of “needs no assistance,” and trend upward through “needs a lot of assistance.” This can be a problem, because it implies that lives like hers exist at an extreme of social obligation; her needs are not given parity, and her life becomes an indulgence. It also means that people most in need of recognition are least likely to receive it.
and
So when a court decides that an assistant has less of a responsibility to hurt disabled people, or decides that sustained contact with disabled people mitigates culpability for murder, the only vulnerability it creates is an “extraordinary” one. This decision poses an enormous threat to people who need caregivers. It defines reliance on caregivers as an imposition on those who provide care–so much so that disabled people may expect violent reprisal for all that “stress.” All of that is invisible, because lives in which caregivers are mundane are invisible.

Then Bob over at Creative Destruction riffs off of Piny's post and things go downhill from there. Cooking up a comparison between disabled people and fetuses, he calls his post "Sauce for the Handicapped [sic], Sauce for the Unborn," and before we know it we're not only comparing the killing of a grown man and former paralympian athlete to abortion, but the resulting comments devolve into a tired debate among nondisabled people about how a person is no longer a "person" (but still "human") when their cerebral cortex shuts down. "Intrinsic value," life support and even animal rights are mentioned. It's very depressing, even more so because this is the first post categorized as "Disability Issues" at that group blog.

(Note to self: Request Feministe add a Disability category to their index so the fine recent discussions over there can be accessed more easily.)

Back to the lumpy gravy. Along with some inaccurate assumptions about what pro-choice feminists (Are there any other kind?) all believe, Bob says this:
The logic that the judge used in ameliorating the consequences of Smail's killing is orthogonal to the logic used by pro-choice advocates. The jump from "it's OK to kill a fetus" to "it's OK to kill a cripple" does not appear to be overwhelmingly large in magnitude. It seems like a fairly tricky endeavour to try to justify one as being obviously acceptable while the other remains a monstrous crime - particularly if you choose to defend abortion but condemn the killing of the disabled. After all, Keith McCormick was never going to get better - was never going to become a full human being in the Singerian ethical sense. But a fetus fairly quickly becomes an independent being with a full life ahead of him or her.
To amuse those who know me very well, I will enumerate my issues with the above paragraph.

Number one: Language, language. "Cripple." Oh, how I wish there existed truly offensive epithets uniquely designed for nondisabled white men that made them feel the burn too. They seem to be the ones who mind the least using other group's slurs to make a point. Why do you suppose that is?

Second. Umm, yeah, it is a huge jump to compare murdering a living breathing full-grown man with family and friends who have interacted with him for decades to abortion of a fetus. The former is here with the rest of us doing all the daily things anybody does and the latter might be here sometime in the future sharing the experience.

The fact that both a quadriplegic and a fetus need some help to survive does not make them equal anymore than it makes a nondisabled person and a fetus equal. A quad needs assistance with most daily activities (and maybe the technology or service animal to help do care for himself) and a fetus needs to feed off the body of another human being for many months until it can hopefully survive in the planetary environment the rest of us exist in, even then with a high level of care. I do think it's fair to compare the level of assistance a person with quadriplegia needs to that an infant needs, but that's not the same as the unborn.

And McCormick didn't have to be looking forward to a cure to value his life as it was, whatever pain it involved -- remember there was no evidence whatsoever that he thought his life should end. Perhaps it's surprising to know that many of us severely disabled people believe our lives have incredible value even if we will never "get better." Health and ability are great things, if you've got them, but they do not create the essence of what is valuable in life.

Third, a fetus does not "fairly quickly (become) an independent being with a full life ahead of him or her." I imagine many, if not most, mothers who bear the brunt of the childraising work would not say that years of assistance is "quick," except in the sentimental sense. Surely no teenager I've known believes their "independence" arrives quickly. I'd argue nondisabled "independence" is myth anyway, but that's for another day. Also, Bob presumes a fetus will be born nondisabled and remain that way when that's really not what the warranty guarantees, so the presumption of independence is pointless.

Finally, philosopher Peter Singer's ethics with regard to disabled people are creepy enough without applying them incorrectly. He doesn't claim to support involuntary euthanasia for persons who are physically impaired but remain mentally unimpaired, and I don't believe he'd support the murder of McCormick as Bob seems to imply. Singer's preference utilitarianism does suggest McCormick's life would have less "utility" than a nondisabled person's life, but a fetus wouldn't even qualify as a "person" in his ethical world so again the comparison fails.

None of what I've argued above -- or, in fact, any disagreement about what Bob says -- about the worth of McCormick's life is debated in the 28 comments that follow over at Creative Destruction. Instead, there's a brief exchange concluding, apparently, that the disability of McCormick has no bearing on the shortened sentence. And then animal rights is brought up, and, oh, go read the rest. The entire debate really is a good answer to the question "What would nondisabled privilege look like?"

9 comments:

Max Lucretius said...

Nice post, thanks. And I will be waiting eagerly for the "another day" when you will be talking about the myth of nondisabled independence.

imfunnytoo said...

Oh, crap...more persons who *aren't* us thinking they have the time, and the right to pick apart our lives and run them.

Anonymous said...

Number one: Language, language. "Cripple." Oh, how I wish there existed truly offensive epithets uniquely designed for nondisabled white men that made them feel the burn too. They seem to be the ones who mind the least using other group's slurs to make a point. Why do you suppose that is?

Giving Bob the benefit of the doubt, I would say here that he is suggesting that those who would make this jump would use that word, or otherwise exhibit the attitude that lies behind it, not that he himself regards it as an appropriate word.

None of what I've argued above -- or, in fact, any disagreement about what Bob says -- about the worth of McCormick's life is debated in the 28 comments that follow over at Creative Destruction. Instead, there's a brief exchange concluding, apparently, that the disability of McCormick has no bearing on the shortened sentence. And then animal rights is brought up, and, oh, go read the rest. The entire debate really is a good answer to the question "What would nondisabled privilege look like?"

I think you've missed the point of the post. It wasn't about McCormick or even about the value of a disabled person's life. It was about abortion. There was no debate or disagreement over the worth of McCormick's life because everyone agrees that his life was wholly worthfull. The disagreement was over the soundness of Bob's argument that a foetus is equally worthful.

However if you think the comments to that post were inadequate, you're welcome to rememdy that yourself.

Maia said...

"Oh, how I wish there existed truly offensive epithets uniquely designed for nondisabled white men that made them feel the burn too."

Now I can't stop thinking about one, I wish I had a more imagination.

You know what's interesting, I live in New Zealand, and I didn't even hear about the lighter sentance (and the reason given for it) in this case.

That the fact that people who require other people's assistance are considered less than human wasn't even considered news.

thenutfantastic said...

Hi. I'm hosting the XVI Carnival of Feminists and I'd like to add this. Can I? I prefer it to have more disability related issues and so far I've only got one entry. Also, I found the link via Amp's blog.

Anonymous said...

Fascinating how, as soon as we discuss the nitty-gritty of birth and death, "disablers" (I propose this as a "truly offensive epithet uniquely designed for nondisabled white men") show their true colours, proving that they are shit-scared of losing their own poorly-enacted function because they truly believe (and usually correctly) that they are no more than what they can (or can't) do.

thenutfantastic said...

So I tried doing the linky thing but have no idea what to do with it exactly. But you know you're in the Carnival and you provided me another link so...

I just wanted to put an official link up as a trackback.

Kay Olson said...

Grace: From a perspective of needing a certain level of assistance, a quadriplegic adult and an infant could be considered to have relatively similar needs. And most people who are not Peter Singer do consider infants to be human beings deserving of the assistance they need to survive. In fact, probably more people believe infants are deserving than believe quads are, sad as that is. But you're right that awareness and ability to interact are quite different.

Daran: Except Bob did use the word. I don't think people who use slurs -- even to be clever or make a point -- have any reasonable defense against the objections of the people whom they slur.

I'll come back to the other point you make about Bob using McCormick's murder to discuss rationale for abortion.

The Nut: Thanks for the link. Sorry about the extremely delayed response.

Philip Patston: I like "disablers," but I like the associations of "ablist" too.

Piny: Yes! :)

Kay Olson said...

Daran's comment was held up in Blogger moderation for along long time, but I want to come back to this now:

I think you've missed the point of the post. It wasn't about McCormick or even about the value of a disabled person's life. It was about abortion. There was no debate or disagreement over the worth of McCormick's life because everyone agrees that his life was wholly worthfull. The disagreement was over the soundness of Bob's argument that a foetus is equally worthful.

It's not true that everyone agrees McCormick's life (or mine, or many of the people on my blogroll) was "wholly worthfull." If that were true, I wouldn't find the need to blog about basic human rights for disabled folks. The very fact that Bob used McCormick's murder as a jumping off point to discuss abortion and the value of fetal life illustrates that, as does the digression over there into a discussion of animal rights. If McCormick's adult life and death can be so easily used to discuss the worthiness of fetal and animal life when that is not the case for the average nondisabled human adult life, there is an association there about lack of worth.