Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Disability and porn

Wheelchair Dancer writes about disability and porn because of a new Spanish porn film called Breaking Barriers that is making some news. Most of WCD's post goes on to discuss "pretenders" and "devotees" (a subject about which, specifically, I have no well-formed opinion), but she does say this about disability and porn:

I'm conflicted.

On the one hand, I think it is important for PWD to be recognised as fully sexual beings. Ellen Stohl accomplished some of this work when she appeared in Playboy in 1987. And wasn't there a fuss! From the disability community -- everything from exploitation to not enough wheelchair -- and from those who oppose porn on principle. On the other hand, while I usually maintain a fairly sex positive attitude and I can understand, even sympathize with the arguments that interpret sex work as a positive choice for some women, I know that sex work is not always positive, that the viewer cannot tell from looking at the image, and that in every day life not every sex worker's rights are protected. This limits my ability to go for porn without many, many reservations.
Except for the understatement of that last sentence, I agree completely with WCD -- I'm conflicted. As for Encarna Conde, the 45-year-old disabled woman who stars in the Spanish film, she appears to have had a positive experience:
"It was very pleasant, though I was somewhat cowardly," says Encarna. Unusually for a porn film, however, Breaking Barriers ends with a serious conversation between Encarna and her producer. "Disabled women have to take steps forward and one should always be happy if one breaks a barrier," she says.
As an undergraduate, I took an elective course called "Human Sexuality" taught by an old guy who had about fifty years experience as a couples' counselor. This was the late 1980s and much of the course was on AIDS and safe sex, but the main focus of all topics was good communication between sexual partners. We listened to a panel which included transsexuals that was very informative. And we saw a film of a man and woman having sex in order to provide, the professor said, a visual so that everyone was absolutely clear on what penis-in-vagina sexual intercourse actually involves. I've since learned from a couple social worker friends that there are, in fact, married people out there who think they have been having PIV sex but have been doing it wrong.

In that same educational vein, especially since strangers and acquaintances have sometimes bothered with questions about disability and sex (and pregnancy and orgasms, etc.), I'm conflicted. Does mainstreaming disabled people into pornography help disabled people? Does it help disabled women be seen as less asexual? Does it educate nondisabled people at all or does it just create a bigger fetish market?

I remember being conflicted about Ellen Stohl 20 years ago too. Of course, porn is an extreme example but I'm skeptical when disabled women stoop to objectifying themselves anywhere in order to participate fully in society as females, which I think is what happens in the Ms. Wheelchair pageants. It can happen in photography too, whether in Playboy or some other forum, if the expression of feminine beauty follows cultural expectations of what is beautiful. The Raw Beauty Project, as a whole exhibit, manages to express individuality without catering too much to mainstream beauty expectations, though I think they downplayed disability to walk that line. I'd love to see the whole exhibit.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get utterly conflicted about this.
PWD are sexual adults, too.
I wish I knew the answer.

Anonymous said...

We had a disability studies class here last semester, and apparently when disability fetishism and porn came up, conversation shut down. I can see why, its a difficult subject.

It just horrifies me that people have been doing PIV sex wrong. Thank you abstinence only education.

-SS

thistle said...

I don't know. Mostly I guess I wish that our culture's sexuality were less porn-centric, so that porn didn't seem like the obvious way to make that point. I mean, porn is so central to so many people's ideas about sex--and for so many people (especially young men) porn being where they learn about and first see sex makes it feel hard to make the point that PWD are sexual adults--are *real* sexual adults, in the same way that people without disabilities are--without porn. On the other hand, of course, porn being about fetishization makes me think that most porn films featuring people with physical disabilities will be all about fetishizing those disabilities rather than about the person and the person being sexual. Kind of like how most porn is not really about the woman who is being sexual. So, I don't know.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Thistle. I think it will become a fetish about the disability, not the person.

There's a part in Atwood's "Oryx and Crake" when Jimmy finds out that at Crake's university, the Student Services department will arrange for women to come have sex with the students. The first thing that pops into Jimmy's mind (though he doesn't say it out loud) is to wonder if Crake had "ordered" any disabled women (specifically a double amputee, iirc).

Kay Olson said...

SS: I know! It is horrifying.

Delany: Oh wow, I'd forgotten about that in Oryx and Crake. Yes, she gives a good fictional example about how people become increasingly alienated through porn that slowly becomes more and more extreme.

echidne said...

It's a tricky subject. I'm not sure if demanding the same objectification for disabled women as for women who are not disabled is a step forwards. I can see the value of portraying all people as at least potentially sexual beings (some choose celibacy or find themselves asexual, of course), but there are better ways of achieving that result.

I remember seeing a very good Danish documentary about sex and disability a long time ago. It was just about a man and a woman who fell in love and lived together and he happened to be in a wheelchair.

The point of the story was their love and the end of it and the pain they went through. His disability was not the main point at all, though he talked about what sex meant for him.

It was quite lovely and finally sad as they split up.

Kay Olson said...

Piny, you should write something. I was actually thinking of some trans-people's art and portraiture of various people that queers gender enough to make exhibits of "abnormal" people a study in normality rather than a fetish exhibit. But then, there's a difference between art and porn, of course.

Kay Olson said...

Echidne, I'll have to look for that documentary. I find it's extremely rare for a disabled person to be in a documentary or fictional story without the disability being part of the topic rather than being incidental to the story.

Anonymous said...

Does it help disabled women be seen as less asexual?

Are you specifying disabled women because pornography primarily focuses on depicting women, or because disabled men's sexuality is more recognized by society?

Kay Olson said...

Anonymous, both of those and several other reasons, though I have no problem including disabled men in the discussion, either.

I specified disabled women because the new porn movie in question apparently features a disabled woman, because I know of no events in disability culture that involve disabled men getting the attention for displaying their bodies as Ellen Stohl and Encarna Conde have done, because I similarly have seen much much less devotee-type attention toward disabled men, and because while bodily objectification can happen to any individual, it happens to women as a class of people.

Bent webzine (link on sidebar) has a few articles in it's archives on topics related to porn, devotees, etc., including this one: http://www.bentvoices.org/bentvoices/abercrombie.htm

Anonymous said...

Transabled and wannabe's are to be avoided at all costs. They are mentally disturbed. We should all use caution who we depend on for accurate information about subjects relating to disabled people. Sexuality and the disabled is normal human behavior, but those that use disability as a prop or scam to fulfill some bizarre fetish should not be listened to in any manner, including films, books, or the internet.

Anonymous said...

I don't know what transabled are. Otherwise, Anonymous'post simply projects this person's fear and prejudice out on others. What basis do you have to label wannabes as mentally disturbed? Bizarre? yes, it's pretty strange, but it does not need to be dangerous or morally wrong. Stop hating people you don't know.