Friday, March 30, 2007

Accessibility here, just somewhere else




















































Flickr credits: Lee Bennett, ekai, and Isgphoto, respectively.

Visual descriptions of the three photos above: 1) A simple sign that reads "Wheelchair Ramp Available, Inquire Within," 2) A simple sign reading "Accessible Restrooms On The Second Level," and 3) A door with a sign at door handle level reading "Disabled WC" and a piece of paper posted about a foot above reading "POLITE NOTICE: This toilet is out of order. Please use the facilities upstairs. Sorry for any inconvenience caused."

8 comments:

Penny L. Richards said...

Oh, well, if they say "sorry for the inconvenience," they're off the hook, right? Grrrrr.

Anonymous said...

I think I love the first one the best. "We'll grant you access, but first you have to come in and ask for it. Somehow."

I'm thinking of that MadTV skit again.

Ruth said...

These are more common than people realize - I call these the politically correct non access signs - that is, "we know what we should do so it's ok that we ain't done it": the restroom ones that are oh so polite in the blatant face of the reality that I can't pee! The ramp one assumes that we aren't allowed out alone. Or that the person we're with is able bodied - which, in my case, often isn't true. Two people (or 3 ) in wheelchairs looking at each other ...

Katja said...

Sadly, I have no picture of this sign, as it is inside a building in which no one is permitted to take photographs.

This building is on a US Air Force base. The only elevator is a freight elevator that I don't have the leverage or strength to use by myself anyway. On the ground level doors, it says:

"These doors must remain locked for security reasons. If you need to use the elevator, use your card key to go through the door to the right, go up the stairs, and ride the elevator down."

This isn't a politically correct non-access sign, it's a "it never occurred to us that anyone would use the elevator out of necessity, not just convenience!" sign.

Dawn Allenbach said...

There's a building at a university here in New Oreans that has steps immediately inside the door. There is a wheelchair lift to the side, but it is locked. To use it, you have to get a key from personnel in the office at the top of the steps.

Did I mention there's no phone at the bottom of the steps with a number to call?

Anonymous said...

Dawn- your comment takes the cake! i can see it happening in to many places!

Kay Olson said...

My favorite of the three pics is the last where the sign maker took the time and thought to say "POLITE NOTICE." Like, well, I made a nice sign, so you've got no reason to complain.

You know, signs and accessibility like this are why we spend so much time lurking in hallways and entrances where passersby then ask if we need help. "No, thank you, I just sent the last stranger ahead to lobby the admin on my behalf.... Please sirs, let me use your portable ramp. The one you keep in the back closet under lock and key."

Philip. said...

Typical, people think they can negate their responsibilities by adding polite notices - sad :-(