Another look at Harriet McBryde Johnson
Okay, not a look at her, though I love the picture at the top of this January 2004 article where she was named New Mobility magazine's Person of the Year. She does gimpy with class. It means a lot to have media that present real images of real disabled people and their bodies. If Hollywood put more actual disabled people on film maybe we wouldn't look so scary to the average nondisabled person, just like average-sized women wouldn't look so overweight compared to stick-thin models (with breast implants) who supposedly represent natural womanhood.
Anyway. I meant another look at "Unspeakable Conversations," the amazing article McBryde Johnson wrote in 2003 for The New York Times Magazine. That article and the response to it were the stepping stone to McBryde Johnson's new book, Too Late to Die Young: Nearly True Tales from a Life, recently reviewed by Ragged Edge. I plan to review it too, once I get my copy and have some time with it.


No comments:
Post a Comment