Sunday, October 15, 2006

Five things that feminism has done for me

My friend Amanda at Life in a Suitcase tagged me for this feminist meme that is traveling around. It started because of concerns (and outrage) about funding changes by the Canadian government for Status of Women Canada (SWC), including the removal of the word "equality" from the government agency's mandate. I don't know the intricate details of all this, but the meme is certainly a good topic to think and write about.

My five things:

It provided me with a home to grow up in where my parents respected each other and nurtured everyone's dreams and goals regardless of gender.

It made my study and career choices at college free from the gender restrictions and pressures my mother experienced.

It's given me a context in which to understand my experiences with religion and my spirituality.

It's added to my interest and understanding of my experiences as a disabled woman.

It's provided me with many many warm, loving women friends, both out in the world and online. Stunningly, during my four-month hospital stay, I received snail mail and packages (as well as online prayers and support) from dozens of individual feminists all over the world -- all online friends or acquaintances that at the time I'd never met. I've since met eight of them in person. Our common concerns and experiences brought us together online and provided me with support when I needed it most. (Amanda is one of them, btw.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do what you love and everything will fall into place.

thistle said...

That's one of the best lists I've seen. I tried to do this, too, but I wound up changing it to five things I still want feminism to do, because my attitude sucks lately.