Pickle for three, please
I met Marian the day I came to college in my week-old electric scooter, still learning how to drive it well. She was my assigned roommate in the residence hall and we were the first two female disabled students to ever room together at our university. With only a few accessible rooms, my freshman year was the first that there were enough women in wheelchairs to require two to a room to fit everyone in.
Campus housing had called me over the summer and asked if I was okay rooming with another disabled woman, apparently concerned if we'd have enough room to maneuver. I'd thought it was a stupid question -- if I wasn't okay with it, would they quick remodel another room before I arrived in two weeks? Also, the slim detail that my new roommate would also be using a wheelchair excited and startled me. I hadn't considered it before.
Marian and I were happy roommates and became close friends immediately. Our resident assistant turned out to be Anne, a disabled woman Marian had been tight with as a child at Easter Seals summer camp. Marian, pessimistic and wryly funny, and Anne, loudly hilarious and over-the-top, were a completely new experience for me. I hadn't had friends with disabilities -- let alone scooters or wheelchairs -- ever before. I revelled in the startling visual power we had when we went somewhere, lining up serially on a narrow sidewalk like a brief parade of fast go-cart Shriners or driving three (sometimes more) abreast across campus and talking and laughing like anyone else, but at our seated height.
Sophomore year, by arrangement, Marian and I shared a bathroom with Anne, and we often treated our two dorm rooms like a suite by keeping the bathroom doors open so the bathroom itself became a narrow hallway from one room to the other. While the bathroom -- just a toilet and an open area with grab bars for a shower and room for a shower chair -- was all tiled and slightly sloped to a central floor drain, there was an eight-inch ramp sloping an inch or two down outside either doorway (Anne's or ours) into the small sink/foyer area of each dorm room. The closets faced each bathroom door, so if you stood in our closet, you could look through the bathroom into Anne's closet, directly opposite.
Early one evening just after dinner, Marian and I were in our room. Marian was sitting in our small closet finding something and I was talking with her, my scooter parked in front of the closet doorway.
Anne came roaring through the bathroom into our room, laughing as she came down the little ramp. To our surprise, her Amigo scooter hit the side of my scooter and her front bumper lifted to rest on the platform of my scooter by my feet. The front wheel of her front-wheel drive was lifted off the floor.
So. Marian was trapped in the closet. I was parked in front of the closed door to the hallway, and Anne's scooter was hung up on mine. We all used our chairs full-time, so none of us was able to get out and push. We sat there surprised that three mobile adults could immobilize themselves without any of our chairs breaking down.
This was before cell phones, so we giggled when the phone rang and our answering machine clicked on. We contemplated what exactly we would shout if we decided to holler for help. Then we jokingly began conversations none of us wanted to hear and required a captive audience.
"Have you been saved by the Lord?"
"Let me tell you about my essay on Moby Dick."
"You know, my husband had a stroke recently and now he needs a wheelchair too...."
We nearly laughed ourselves sick before I managed to move my scooter back and forth enough to dislodge Anne's. It was a bit of a disappointment to be free. Suddenly the room was accessible to all of us again and we were a little less bound in common camaraderie.
It was one of the silliest, funniest moments of my life, though it doesn't translate well for the larger world. It's a crip thing, and probably rare at that. It's an example of what makes living with a particular disability a unique cultural experience. One I would never have found at home with my family.


7 comments:
What a hilarious bonding experience! I can picture it exactly!
I think that I have a similar situation when I am on the phone with S. We both have cognitive problems including memory loss and difficulties finding words as part of our gimpness, which leads to wonderful exchanges such as:
"... have I already told you about this?"
"I have no idea!"
Having both cognitive hiccups means that we can sometimes struggle so hard to find a word that in the mean time we manage to forget what we were talking about entirely!
We have a running joke that it is entirely possible that we actually have the same discussions in every call, because we would not notice. Mentioning this leads to endless hilarity.
If I have these same problems when I am talking to a TAB, I get frustrated... and if it is not somebody who knows me, I worry that they will assume that I am distracted or stupid (which both do happen). With another gimp it is still frustrating, but it is a shared understanding and often we end up laughing.
r
My friend Vic and I both tried out electric wheelchairs at the same time and went shopping together. It got very, very silly. For one thing, two wheelchair-users together were looked on with great suspicion by shop clerks and the like, as if we'd escaped from somewhere. And because we were inexperienced, we did go down aisles in shops where we got stuck, we did run into shelves and knock things on the floor. But the best one was when we held up a elevator for about ten minutes because we were both in it, and because of the narrowness of the door and the presence of another wheelchair in the lift, neither of us could get out. Well, not easily.
On reflection, we might have tried to walk before we could run (you know what I mean), but we were teenagers and this world is not designed for the most experienced wheelie.
Great stories, both!
Another funny: I had a large boatlike loaner scooter once that was just unwieldy to drive. Every time Anne saw me with it she'd start singing "Volare."
I too had two wc bound roomies in college. In the late 70's nothing much was accessible in Atlanta, Ga except the local strip clubs -- never figured why they went to so much trouble to provide parking, and accessible restrooms. I had more fun with those guys than anytime in my life, before, or since. Glad you brought back your memories.
Doesn't involve two or more gimps, but still a funny college story:
I managed to short out my new power chair the day before the graduation ceremony for my undergrad. We found a loaner that was a HUGE E&J, and I had to stuff about three pillows around me to prop me in it. The worst part was that the joystick was on the left, and I've always driven with mine on the right. Going across the stage that morning, I'm sure more than one spectator thought I'd started celebrating a bit early. My sister and brother (also in wc's) laughed maniacally the entire time I was struggling up the ramp on one side, across the stage, down the ramp on the other side, and up the aisle -- weaving like I'd chugged a 40.
My daftest wheelchair stuckness happened at the top of a pre Roman hillfort - constructed say 2,500 years ago !
All the large and small ditches and mounds progessing up the hill to the top of the fort had been 'Enterprisingly' got over/through with the help of my six wheels, until the very last almost-at-the-top very little hump, which managed to thwart the electronic messages between the front wheels and the middle drive wheels. For some unknown reason, turning off the electrics and letting it all have a bit of a rest for a few minutes, did the trick. I bet the Romans didn't risk their chariots like that !
[snort] I love this story....
I never got to use my scooter in school..but I have um, had some mobility problems that involved a wet shower seat rug burns and a hotel in Vegas...
Post a Comment