Friday, January 05, 2007

The Ashley Treatment

Not a good time to write in detail about what I think, here are some other folks who have expressed what's on my mind better than I could have. The first three especially address the Ashley Treatment from both disabled and feminist perspectives:

Wheelchair Dancer

Penny Richards at Disability Studies, Temple U.

Mary Johnson of Ragged Edge

Cory Silverberg

Arthur Caplan, Ph.D., director of the Center for Bioethics at the University of Pennsylvania

Thirza Cuthand at Fit of Pique

I'm Funny Too at Did I Miss Something?

I posted briefly here and here.

The "Ashley Treatment." Do you suppose I could syndicate my medical plan too?

9 comments:

Sour Duck said...

Thank you for posting these pointers - and hope you're a bit better now.

Penny L. Richards said...

Hey Sally, thanks for trying at Pandagon, you fought the good fight.

What stuns me is how quickly people will accept that this is a "singular, extraordinary" situation. Puberty is hardly unusual; disability, even severe disability, isn't so bizarre. The family itself doesn't seem to consider theirs a singular situation--they WANT to see it become a widely-available option for other families. (That's their justification for putting up the blog.)

Everytime we accept "but this is a very unusual situation" as an excuse, we dismiss thousands, even millions, of families who are in a similar situation--and who *don't* consider cutting up their kid to be the best or only possible way through some big changes.

Kay Olson said...

Penny: Yes!

The parent's blog is not just a defense of their own decisions, it is a sales pitch of a sort for other parents.

Cory said...

I find that the feminist blogs cited here are good for one thing only, takling about the rights of bio women and reinforcing dualistic (and some might argue classically patriarchial) notions of gender. Sally, your point about hate speech being tolerated is right on. I have read stuff about disability and gender on feminist blogs that make my jaw drop. What will forever escape my understanding is how these people don't get that this is about THEM as much as anyone, and how they can manage to see the connections between oppression based on gender and oppression based on race, but so easily see disability rights as a series of unique, tragic stories.

OTE admin said...

Well, what can you expect? Most of those so-called "progressives" were cheering on the court-order dehydration (murder) of Terri Schiavo because of their own disability prejudices.

They will NEVER get it about this issue, that human rights exists irrespective of one's physical and cognitive status.

Anonymous said...

Great comments thread, and great post of today, blue. One good thing to come out of this for me is meeting amazing bloggers I hadn't encountered before, like Wheelchair Dancer, Ballastexistenz and others who have commented here. Rock on, all of you. The line that sums it up for me is something I got from Ballastexistenz's comment on Alas, something like, "It's not about 'disability', it's about oppression." YES.

Heart

matttbastard said...

Rachel: This comment takes the cake for me as most offensive thus far. Nice to know people with developmental disabilities have no autonomous rights and are subhuman.

Gah.

- matttbastard

Liz said...

"The parent's blog is not just a defense of their own decisions, it is a sales pitch of a sort for other parents."

I got that feeling too -- and that if other parents did it, it would help them justify their own actions.

Kay Olson said...

That's just it, Liz. If they had said on thie blog that this was an agonizing decision and they still don't know if it was the perfect choice, but that they didn't know what else to do -- well, there ould be somewhere conversationl to go with that. A place we need to go for all the parents who lack rsources. Instead they say that they did not agonize over these particular choices and are absolutely confident they've done exactly the right thing. And they encourage other parents to follow suit.