Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Miss Ability: Judging disabled women's beauty

Miss Ability has been called the surprise hit of Dutch television in 2006, but the Times Online reported last week that the rights to the program in Britain, France, Germany and the U.S. have now been snapped up. Soon we, too, can look forward to a live beauty contest where disabled women compete in nightgowns and bathing suits, then present short video films on how they've "overcome" their physical conditions -- whatever impairments contestants have must be "visible to the eye" in order for them to compete. Viewers get to vote.

Absolutely Independent, the Dutch company selling the rights to this idea asks in its prospectus:

Ever whistled at a woman in a wheelchair? Checked out the boobs of a blind babe? If the answer’s ‘no’, this barrier-breaking show will put an end to that.
According to Times Online, the company insists that "the show does not patronise disabled people." The article also adds:
British broadcasters will bid for the show in the new year. But there are fears that the trend for extreme reality shows could produce tasteless television.
It would be a shame if this led to television becoming tasteless, wouldn't it? I hope we never live to see the day. But as you might expect, the excitement precipitated by mentioning the ogling of the boobs of blind babes has gotten some attention, and the discussions has been interesting.

Report of this at MensNewsDaily shows exactly how problematic a viewer-determined pageant for disabled women could be. Well, or pageants generally:
“Who are you voting for Bubba?” “Gee, that blond chick is in a wheelchair, but she got hellava big hooters.” “Me, I’m gonna vote for the redhead, her eyepatch is so kinky” “You wankers are nuts, I’m going to vote for the broad with no arms. She’s the perfect woman, you can hit her and she can’t hit back.”
It's all there in just a few sentences, isn't it? Ableism, sexism, objectification, male privilege, fetishism, and the connection between objectification and violence, though it's all said in good fun, of course. What a relief the program is not patronizing too.

On the Snopes bulletin boards, these comments on Miss Ability:
I think that many disabled people would take any sort of recognition as a meaningful human being, rather than the state of inconsequence that is so often relegated to them, even if that recognition is based on something so limiting and empty as appearence.

Challenging? Yes. Progressive? Nope.
***

I feel like it's a little sad that we need a separate ceremony for disabled people. I mean, I know why...I know that people are weirded out. But I feel like ultimately, it would be better if disabled people could participate alongside their nondisabled counterparts.

***

I have this vague uncomfortable feeling that this is something like a modern day side show. "Look! She's crippled, but she looks hot in a bikini! And she talks, too! Amazing!"

***

While I can understand and agree with many of the concerns presented here, I do think this is a small step in the right direction. Too often, even in modern times, disabilities of any kind lead to ostracism and being outcast, whether from prejudice or people just "feeling weird". It's good that the media is finally acknowledging that the disabled can be attractive as well. I have been attracted to disabled women before.
My guess is that the above represent some fairly common opinions about disabled people and sexual attractiveness of women. Disabled people are all needy of attention and approval. It makes sense to separate out disabled women from "normal" women when the topic is beauty. Being seen a legitimate sexual subject for the male gaze is progress for disabled women. The comparison to a circus sideshow is apt, though.

Jessica at Feministing isn't sure exactly what position to take, noting that it "seems kind of cool -- at least in terms of redefining beauty standards." (Emphasis is hers.) Commenters are also divided, though I admittedly don't read comments over there often enough to know the regular trolls.

A sampling of those comments:
Now disabled people can be treated like meat too?
It was interesting that only certain disabilities were allowed. None of those "yucky" (might get in the way of guys finding them hot?) disabilities like cerebral palsy or those that can't be seen?
***
How much money went into this show that could've been better spent, say, on research or helping poor, unattractive wheelchairers build a ramp in their home?
***

I think it's even more disgusting than the usual beauty pageant. What a favor to disabled women (who are in desperate need of enforcement of laws designed to protect their rights, products they can use, and gynecologists who will examine them)--let them be part of the great American sexism show of all time.
***

Why not just include women with disabilities in the typical crap beauty pageants? Doesn't this seem at odds with the "least restrictive environment" idea?

***

In terms of the zeitgeist, this is actually possibly a step in the right direction. It's not so far to go from recognising disabled people as sexual objects to recognising them as sexual beings.
***

The emphasis on contestants having "overcome" a disability ... is completely patronizing and misleading. My disability is a part of me. I cannot "overcome" it any more than I can "overcome" being female, though both of those traits are things that often put me at a disadvantage in the world. It is something you work with and work around, potentially forever. The vital difference is that "overcoming" something means you put it behind you forever. Non-disabled people just love to hear about disabled folks who "overcame" their disabilities because, phew, that means they're fine now and we can go back to not giving a shit about them or their ongoing difficulties or their need for tougher access laws! It is the disability equivalent of the "post-feminist" label and I say it sucks.
The last two comments come from women who identify as disabled and highlight the ways in which this competition differs from your standard beauty pageant for the women contestants and the women those contestants are meant to represent. In addition to the cultural beauty standards that will inevitably be used in judging the winner, the narrative of "overcoming" also determines who is the best disabled woman.

This overcoming narrative -- particularly as part of a contest where the subjects must be "visibly disabled" -- is a paradoxical fiction. Each woman must look stereotypically physically disabled but prove she doesn't suffer the consquences her impairments or society create for that very visibility. Or that she doesn't mind. It goes without saying that the best woman in this contest will not discuss any mental illness or incontinence or lack of civil rights. She won't drool but she won't hide her limp either, because the audience needs to see that. Odds are she'll present as straight and white. She'll sing well and dream of world peace. Men find her pretty despite everything, and all is right with the world.

10 comments:

ArrogantWorm said...

I don't like beauty pageants in the first place because they make the participants try to live up to a particular social and cultural ideal that, well, isn't very real. N'heaven help someone when they fall from that pedestal, as they invariably must. It's hurtful and rude to make a pageant, especially one where the different abilities must be visual, and it also ignores all the effort that other people work at to manage in life. But not *Too* visual, because people also seem to have bigoted standards of beauty. And I dunno who said that people don't overcome disabilities, but that they work around them, I really wish people in the mainstream would pay more attention to that. My mother watches shows, not sure what they're called as I don't stick around to watch tv myself, but she's addicted the stories of how people are able-bodied, then something happens, be it age, something from birth, an accident or illness and then they 'overcome' what befell them. And while I'm happy for the people on the television, I suppose it makes me a bit bitter, as well, because she'd rather watch those success stories better than nine times out of ten than do anything to help. She refused to buy glasses back when I was in middle and high school, and since a hemangeoma blocked my left eye when I was born and the doctors didn't want to treat me till after I started school, I was pretty much screwed. My aunt caved before then, though, and paid for a specialist for surgery, which was awfully nice of her. Anyway, ran off on a tangeant, sorry. Point was, Mom seemed so happy about the people on tv getting treatment and yet she ignored me. Dunno, maybe she thought the problem would go away? She'll probably end up cooing over this tv show as well.

Penny L. Richards said...

I wonder if there's even ONE disabled woman involved in the production of this thing--anyone who has the first clue about disability, and still says "yeah, this is fine, we can do this?" Somehow the promotional copy tells me "no." This thing is clearly being put together by and for the nondisabled.

And now--if a beauty pageant for women of color were held where ALL the organizers were white men, marketing it entirely to white men, in unabashed racist terms (imagine: "ever whistled at a dark-skinned woman? Checked out the boobs of an Asian babe? If the answer’s ‘no’, this barrier-breaking show will put an end to that"), would that bother folks any, do ya think? How is "Miss Ability" any better than that scenario?

Kay Olson said...

I'm Funny Too has some great thoughts about Miss Ability at her blog too: http://midlifeandtreachery.blogspot.com/2007/01/miss-ability.html

imfunnytoo said...

You said, so well...

"This overcoming narrative -- particularly as part of a contest where the subjects must be "visibly disabled" -- is a paradoxical fiction. Each woman must look stereotypically physically disabled but prove she doesn't suffer the consquences her impairments or society create for that very visibility. Or that she doesn't mind. It goes without saying that the best woman in this contest will not discuss any mental illness or incontinence or lack of civil rights. She won't drool but she won't hide her limp either, because the audience needs to see that. Odds are she'll present as straight and white. She'll sing well and dream of world peace. Men find her pretty despite everything, and all is right with the world."

See, now when I win the lottery, go to Jenny Craig and get all skinny in time for Miss Ability, I can make sure that I sing well about mental illness, incontinence, or the lack of civil rights...and dream of peace.

imfunnytoo said...

darn comments! I meant to say "sing well about mental ilness, incontience *and* the lack of civil rights..."

Blog author said...

I wrote about this show in an online column recently. When I was researching the show, I found a press release from the company (Absolutely Independent) talking about the awards ceremony for Miss Ability.
On the one hand, the Dutch Prime Minister presented the winner with her prize and invited her to address their Parliament on the topic of disability issues.
On the other hand, and I couldn't believe this - in fact, I still hope I'm wrong about it - I could not find the winner's NAME anywhere.
If anyone knows her name and whether she did address the Parliament, I'd love to know.

Kay Olson said...

Jill Browne:

I'm afraid I don't know details about the Dutch shows contestants or winner. It's a different twist on the pageant philanthropy/activist supporting a cause which she needs herself, I believe. I mean, usually contestants are spokeswomen for other people. I have mixed feelings about that and the perceptions of disabled folks it's bound to create, though we need spokespersons too -- and they should be disabled folk.

Anonymous said...

The winner of the dutch contest in 2006 was Roos Prommenschenckel. In fact she DID address the Parliament for the past year and in so doing a lot of good work for disabled people in Holland.

I could be wrong, but some of you do not seem to know anything about disabled people. Maybe that's because you seem to forget that this is in the Netherlands en NOT in America (which by the way also has these type of contests). I asure you it's not a freak show and we do not look down on these girls. Ok, so they do want to show they are beautifull (who doesn't?) but it's not all about that. More importantly it's about showing their strength and independance dispite their disability. Sure it would be nice if the girls could enter Holland Next Top Model (yes we also have this) too, but we all know why that's not realistic.

I really hope you don't pitty the girls in the contest, they are probably smarter and stronger than most of us.

And by the way, guys who say things like that about girls with no arms should not be taken seriously anyway...

Kay Olson said...

Anonymous: While I'm not a fan of any "beauty contest," the difference with this particular Dutch contest is that it is live TV and random viewers get to vote rather than a panel of "experts." The venue change and the attitude of the company marketing the show make it clear this is not really about portraying strength and independence any more than any other beauty contest is about that. It's about appearance and walking (heh) a very fine line of socially acceptable femininity, with the disability expectations added in.

Sure it would be nice if the girls could enter Holland Next Top Model (yes we also have this) too, but we all know why that's not realistic.

This is part of the issue, Anonymous. Why isn't it realistic or appropriate to integrate everyone into the same beauty shows? What does it mean that people like you find it perfectly acceptable that there are separate contests with different criteria for disabled women? I'm not really advocating for integrated contests -- I think all these contest are problematic and exploitative of women. But I do think these special contests reveal further the sexism and ableism that is part of our cultural expectations of beauty and worthiness.

And while I don't think the men who make the statements above should be respected, I do believe they should be taken seriously. As seriously as any other statements men feel are acceptable to make casually about the violent objectification and sexual use of women. The freedom to make such statements says something about the environment and viewpoint these contests foster and feed into.

Blog author said...

In a somewhat belated reply to anonymous,

Thank you for providing Roos Prommenschenkel's name (and apologies if I have misspelled it).

I have since found one audio interview Miss Prommenschenkel gave to BBC Radio. It may still be available on the BBC's website, for the program "Ouch!". http://www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/features/miss_ability.shtml

Cheers,

jill